Sunday, June 13, 2010

To NSW(5): Blue mountains national park: Wenthworth day 3

IMG_2345Last day of my Blue mountains national park hike though there are still heaps places to go still.

Wenthworth is another big attraction of the national park, with its famous wenthworth falls and valleys of water for those who are more intrepid.

Took the early bus to drop me off the starting point of wenthworth pass which is located near the conservation hut that has been transformed into a cafe serving tourist info and meals.

This is not a place to miss out for waterfall lovers, this place has many little and big waterfalls that are very pretty. And I made sure that I visit them before I go.





IMG_2346IMG_2347IMG_2348

The many tracks around wenthworth. And my track for today was the wenthworth pass which cross many falls then end up on the other side at wenthworth falls.
 IMG_2357 IMG_2358

The many falls and cascades in this area!!!
32

Start of the track going down which is the same for both National pass, Wenthworth pass and Valley of water track. The lookouts here didn’t look any impressive compared to those near Katoomba and Blackheath.
IMG_2359  IMG_2361 IMG_2362
 IMG_2363 IMG_2366 IMG_2367

Down down down….the first sign of waterfall among the tress. Everywhere is water dripping down on the sandstone cliffs.
 IMG_2368 IMG_2370 IMG_2373 
IMG_2407

Empress falls!!!  Not as impressive as its name implied, but overall not bad lar. Tempted to take a dip inside the pool of water when I first saw it, but didn’t in the end as I don’t want to walk in wet clothing, haha.
















40
IMG_2414 

Down down again, it’s interesting that one have to walk across rocks arranged as in the bottom left pics.
IMG_2420 IMG_2449

Sylvia falls!!!! The PRETTIEST of all waterfalls I have seen in Blue mountains national park!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps the prettiest falls so far in my life!!! TRUST ME!!!
34

I saw the picture of this falls in the conservation hut sold as postcards, immediately the postcard attracted my eyes, I thought the postcard looked too beautiful to be true!!! However I was WRONG, the moment I reached this falls, I simply just can’t laid my eyes off this pretty fall. I was simply awed by the beauty of it. The colour of the dark rock and the cascading of the water make it so pretty. If only I have a DSLR with me!!!!
 36

What I saw here (pic below) was almost identical with what the postcard shows though of course the postcard was taken with DSLR, but I just can’t believe how real it is!!! 
pano35

Having to leave Sylvia falls was hard, still I went down and down again…
 IMG_2474  IMG_2478

Flat rock falls, which seems quite true , haha. Nothing very impressive except being 90 degree vertical cut flat rocks.
IMG_2482 IMG_2485

The track here was a bit vague that one has to look for it like this one (left bottom pic), It took me a while to find the sign on the rock to know where should I go though i roughly know my directions from readings. The track down this path is a bit weird that one has to walk rightside of the falls then cross to left then right again then left again.
IMG_2493 IMG_2496

I skipped National pass as I have enough walking in the cliff, Wenthworth offers more shade and tress though more difficult than National pass.
IMG_2499 IMG_2500 IMG_2501

The signs along the Wenthworth pass was also not very obvious.
 IMG_2503 IMG_2507IMG_2509

Due to the shadiness by trees along the wenthworth pass, the bottom left pic to me was like a light shinning brightly on a magical mysterious land, haha. And I spotted a pair of mating birds while I was resting at that spot!!!
IMG_2510 IMG_2515

Right near the end of wenthworth pass is another track, which I only walked a bit to peep around, haha. No time.
 IMG_2521 IMG_2522

And this is the reward at the end of Wenthworth pass, arriving at the bottom of Wenthworth falls.
What you saw here is the lower part of the falls.
IMG_2523  37

Amazing place as the falls end up at a big open space forming a pool of water for people to dip in, which I did with some other Europeans.

Saw this duno what, perhaps a eel in the pool, haha. I still dip in the water after I saw it.
 IMG_2550 IMG_2537

This places looks magical, isn’t it!!!
IMG_2552

Next, was all the way UP UP UP via the slack stairs…
IMG_2554 IMG_2555
 IMG_2557 IMG_2558 IMG_2559

The hike was rewarding too, look at how huge and high is the Wenthworth falls which consist of the upper and lower falls!!! IMPRESSIVE!!!
 IMG_2565

Click to see large size!!!
pano36
IMG_2569

A lizard or gecko???







The upper falls of Wenthworth falls!!! HEAVEN-like!!!
 IMG_2575
 IMG_2578  IMG_2579

Reached the top, the source of Wenthworth falls.
IMG_2580

Right here is where water started to plunge to form the magnificient Wenthworth falls!!!
IMG_2581 IMG_2582 IMG_2584

 IMG_2585Walked out of the park, luckily I don’t need to walk much to get to the main road to catch bus back to Katoomba, all thanks to the strangers from Sydney I met and talked to while hiking the valley of waters!!! They offered me a ride when they saw me walking towards the main road. And thanks to them, I was able to get back to No.14 earlier and have a good shower and packed to head back into the charming city of Sydney!!! Here ends my touch with nature in Blue mountains national park, will be back next time if I have a chance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment